I do not have any examples but I can describe an experience, albeit more about written test cases than about using Excel.
When I started my previous job, test cases were not written down. Moreover, the IT department was openly hostile to the QA team; asking for a server as a test case repository was a non-starter. As an intermediate step, I picked an subset of the product and put test cases in a shared Excel spreadsheet. I think there were four columns: a description of the test case, the tester assigned to it, the pass/fail status, and free-form comments (e.g. for bug IDs).
The test cases were simple, declarative statements rather than step-by-step instructions, e.g. "Every field honors its minimum and maximum field lengths" or "Field X is mandatory."
Each release, as the product changed, some of the test cases would need revising, too. I wanted to keep the old test results for historical purposes, so we made a new copy of the spreadsheet for each release.
I think we followed that practice for a few releases. We had limited success. On one hand, the testers liked having something written down, and they liked being explicit about who was testing what. On the other hand, many on the team were not accustomed to writing test cases -- although they overlap, writing is a different skill from actual testing.
After a few releases, we managed to get the IT department to install Mediawiki on a server, so we switched to documenting our test cases there. We went back to personal communications or email for assigning testers to test cases and for reporting status. (We used Bugzilla for bug tracking, but we didn't have a formal way to declare which test cases were tested and which were still left to do). I left that job a few years ago. As I understand it, they still use my test automation framework, but they stopped using the written test cases altogether. I think the test cases grew obsolete and there was no one left on the team who was interested in writing.