I'm writing a document for a developer at my company who will be working on a web app. Here's the advice I have for him so far (below). Can any of you think of more that I can add? Not sure which tool we'll be using, but Selenium and WatiN are strong contenders.
- Web elements should be:
- a. Uniquely identifiable - Selenium prefers id (fastest for looking up elements)
- b. Ideally, human-friendly, e.g. firstName instead of input82347
- Favor standard web elements like
<input>over many layers of nested
<div>for the UI
- Class names and other element attributes should not be repeated unless it makes sense, e.g. don't use the same class name for functionally different components (cheesy example: both
<td>having the exact same class name)
- Selenium doesn't like compound class names (e.g.