With Jmeter you can record both HTTP/HTTPS traffic, also there is Jmeter Chrome extension which can record traffic without configuring JMeter.
To record web traffic in Jmeter:
- add Recording Controller into Test Plan
- add HTTP Proxy Server into WorkBench
- click Start button.
- open browser network settings
- change proxy settings to localhost:8080
- remove localhost and 127.0.0.1 from "No proxy for" field.
To record any application IO:
Set proxy (in Linux)
Or set proxy localhost:8080 if it's possible to change proxy settings in application.
Start JMeter Proxy Server
Use your application
Note! Do not use JMeter as the proxy for any other request types - FTP, etc. - as the JMeter proxy cannot handle them.