What topics can I ask about here?
Software Quality Assurance & Testing Stack Exchange is for software quality control experts, automation engineers, and software testers.
While it isn't possible to provide a comprehensive list of every topic within the scope of this site (see http://meta.sqa.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/site-scope for discussions on whether particular topics are on or off-topic for SQA), the broad intention is to answer questions related to testing. This means that you may need to consider carefully whether your question is really about a testing issue, or whether it falls under the remit of another StackExchange site - for instance, a question about test automation is usually on topic, but if what you're asking is actually a basic programming question, then this is not on-topic here. You should search StackOverflow to see if your question is answered there.
Some examples that are definitely not on-topic:
- "Please do my homework"
- "Which tool should I pick?"
- "I'm looking for beta testers"
Some examples that are probably not on-topic:
- "How do I configure _____" - It might be a testing tool, but questions about tool configuration are probably better addressed in forums dedicated to that tool.
- "Please debug my test code" - Test code is still code. Debugging is a programming question and you should search StackOverflow.
- "My XPath isn't working" - Xpath is a notoriously fragile way to identify web application fields. Without being able to see the full HTML code, your test code, and sometimes your error message as well, it can be next to impossible to help.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Software Quality Assurance & Testing, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
You should avoid "What test cases should I test for _____ ", as the answers will be considered too localised and will change depending on the testing context.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"