Equivalence Partitioning for Name field:
Requirement says the
Name field shall:
- Accept alpha numeric characters and special characters `!@#$%&*
- Minimum 4 characters
- Maximum 40 characters
- First character must be a letter.
Now my questions are:
- How many equivalence partitions can be there in such a case?
- How to consider various permutations and combinations in such a case?
- 3 basic partitions
- Partition 1: <4 character (invalid condition)
- Partition 2: >40 characters (invalid condition)
- Partition 3: between 4&40 (Valid condition)
Now under each of these partitions, again we have various combinations:
- Partition 4: only alphabets (Again two more such as lower case and upper case)
- Partition 5: Only numbers (invalid condition)
- Partition 6: Only special characters (Invalid Condition)
- Partition 7: Alphabets and numeric
- Partition 8: Alphabets and special characters and so on...
There there will be so many combinations and on what basis shall we decide?
Secondly: Assume that we have several fields in a form (Such as user registration). Again in such case there will be several permutations and combinations.
What would be the best technique for deciding test cases?