While testing web application migrations to newer servers, what kinds of gotchya's should I be looking out for. I think that I have a pretty good handle on most of the testing, however, I have this sinking feeling that I'm missing something. As for the technology being used, it's mostly ASP classic with a little bit of .NET, so, obviously on a windows infrastruture.
Two things come to head about new server migration.
- New server environment (version differences can lead to incorrectly working application (deprecated methods, new environment bugs and so on));
- Incorrect new server configuration;
You need to consider what is changing, and what is not.
- Newer hardware, but unchanged software?
- Newer software?
- Applications changes, too?
- Any configuration changes?