I have been working on a test automation project. My customer is considering both Ranorex and test complete as potential test suites, can I ask if there is any difference between them?
My personal opinions, please take them with a grain of salt.
TestComplete vs Ranorex:
- Ranorex has object mapping and test steps displayed on the same page.
- TestComplete has object mapping and test steps on different pages.
- Ranorex moves around mouse cursor in a more realistic way, e.g. you can see mouse cursor moving.
- Ranorex types a string by a character at a time.
- Ranorex has dynamic-wait built into its keywords.
- Ranorex opens a console window that displays debugging logs in real time
- TestComplete teleports mouse cursor around without a trace.
- TestComplete copies and pastes a string instantly.
- TestComplete does not have dynamic-wait built into its keywords.
- TestComplete provides minimum debugging logs during test execution.
- Only Ranorex provides validation Actions that verifies a chosen object's attributes.
- TestComplete does not offer any similar function, although it can be scripted to accomplish the same.
- Ranorex has a development IDE very similar to Visual Studio, it offers smart keyword matching, refactoring and etc.
- TestComplete does not have an IDE, its support is very limited.
- Ranorex supports C#, Python and etc. C# is a more powerful and more structured language.
Test result reporting
- Ranorex test result reporting is more comprehensive, it offers information about previous and current test runs in Pie Charts
- TestComplete only offers test report on current test runs.
- Ranorex is cheaper than TestComplete.