I often see these titles used interchangeably and am wondering what subtle or major differentiators there are between these roles.

  • 1
    Yeah, they are used interchangeably. Having said it, you need to refer to the exact job description. – Yu Zhang May 27 '17 at 0:02
  • If you want to know what someone means when they use both of those terms, ask them. We can't tell you what they mean. – user246 May 29 '17 at 23:01

I think it all boils down to the word 'Tester' not being as catchy as it used to be. You'll find different terms searching for the same professional: Analyst, Engineer (though this one might infer some automation skills), Specialist, etc.

The role of either one of them is more or less the same depending on the company that is looking to hire. What you should keep in mind is the Job Description details: a title is meaningless without context.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.