We are maintaining our test cases in testlink. For a given sprint we write functional test cases for features and regression suite update accordingly. Now we are in the process of starting automation. Our plan is to convert regression suite to automation. How to maintain the mapping between regression manual test cases and automation Test suite test cases. How to maintain this frequently
I would delete the manual test case after it has been converted into an automated test. Automated tests should be run automated at least before deployment, preferably after each change.
Keeping the mapping feels as administration for the sake of administration. Therefor I would like the challenge you to think about if you really need it, probably you don't.
I will suggest a possible path for some folks in this situation.
This may not work for all situations.
Plan for the future, don't just repeat the past
If you simply convert the manual cases to automated ones you will solve one problem but create others.
You will reduce the need for manual testing but you will:
- Introduce the need for quality engineer to maintain the automation. Engineers are expensive.
- Create flaky, brittle UI tests. UI tests fail intermittently in every place I've worked
- Miss a perfect opportunity to start doing Agile Testing and dividing up tests into Unit, Integrated and UI
- Miss the huge benefits that come from manual testing when humans spot things that are awry
- Likely still want to do some manual testing in an exploratory charter approach
You may get push-back to this saying we'll do that in phase II
Phase II doesn't usually happen in my experience.