We have a small test team of 4 people who currently work across 4 products. 3 of these consist of sprints with a duration of two weeks, and the last is a continuous project working on technical debt.
At the moment we assign a primary tester to each of the agile projects with a secondary tester helping all three where needed. When work items appear on the technical debt board anyone picks those up.
Each tester works within their projects sprint board to track and manage the task they are working on.
There has been some discussion on how we can improve the test team process and one of the suggestions was that there would be to create test team sprint board that items from the other boards are put into when they are ready to test.
I am here to discuss and learn if there more efficient way to management the test teams time.
Edit: To answer some of the questions in the comments below:
- Testers are primarily manual testers, however we are in the design stages of implementing automation.
- Testers rotate every 2/3 sprints, but don't have an objection to permanent positions within teams.
- Testers have a focus on the sprint that they are primary tester for. But if priority change to another team/sprint, they can move. (rarely happens)
- Testers within the team are fairly new. I have the most experience within testing and have been offered a test lead position so wanted to throw the question to people with more experience in the test lead role. I want to hit the ground running so to speak.
- Tester are part are their sprints planning phase.