Three amigos refers to the primary perspectives to examine an increment of work before, during, and after development. Those perspectives are:
- Business – What problem are we trying to solve?
- Development – How might we build a solution to solve that problem?
- Testing – What about this, what could possibly happen?
An example of an unsuccessful three amigo meeting:
BA: "Here is what I got from the user requirements, I came up with some acceptance criteria."
Dev: "Looks good".
How to do the three amigos meeting so at the end of it we have
- Rules we need to implement
- Concrete examples that can be turned into acceptance criteria, specifications and test cases
- Further questions that will be discussed later or turned to new stories