Its interesting to know that many are facing this mindset issue ( Not technical):
Here you are asking whether you should update driver or downgrade
This shows below issues in your testing process:
- This clearly shows that you didn't had risk analysis on what test
environment to set up
- You are not sure which version of browser your customers uses
- Do we still need to support older version
- Do we need to support all the new versions of a browser
- Which all browser, os and their versions need to be tested on
So answer to your question is
it depends on your risk analysis on what will be the effect if you don't test on latest version and what will be the effect if not tested in the version that you had in your system.
Make the decision accordingly not according to what makes the test passes.
Product can work in one version and sometimes break in another , so don't take it for granted that if it passes in latest then it will on older.
so understand your Userbase when designing test strategy