I have encountered such a problem not only at my current job, but also before. it's about manual testing the software on various embedded devices in a remote way.
Maybe you know if there is any software to automate this process, with these common requirements:
- web to provide information of devices list with installed version and hardware information
- web based interface to lock device for a specific user to test or flash new software
- web int. to ssh to target device
- web int. to view video of device on some external camera, with audio
- interacting with device by speach or touch screen, poweroff, reset device
- flash device with new software by ssh, serial or some other
- target device is linux based OS but can be any Android, Tizen or custom build dist
I know that some of this requirements cannot be met without installing some software on the target device (ex to handle touch screen) but this cannot be huge server consuming too much device resources, just minimal solution.
In work we always used worker device (some PC) connected to target (tested device) by serial and ethernet. Worker with camera and speaker accessed remotely by users to control and flash the device. This setup is general for all devices like TV, HMI devices, ... .
The real issue is that we always needed to write software (web+backend) to handle this setup which was in 80% exactly the same in functionality. I'm wondering and want to ask is there any software with UI and general functionality already programmed so we can just add backend implementation for handling our devices?